THE sun has finally begun to shine, we’re digging out our shorts and mini skirts, and planning our summer holidays. But inevitably, many Irish women are starting to fret about their cellulite. The uneven effect on thighs and bottom is the bane of summer for many women, but there are ways to remove it.

While around 70 per cent of cellulite is determined by lifestyle factors such as diet and exercise, the remaining 30 per cent is hereditary, which means that you can never entirely banish dimply thighs and lumpy buttocks ( sorry ladies but I tell it to you straight).

So, let’s talk about cellulite – the unsightly orange peel effect that the majority of us suffer from. And that includes women of all shapes and sizes because cellulite is not reserved to just one body size!

Cellulite is basically a herniation of how the fatty layer of the skin, resulting in bulging pockets. You can be predisposed to having cellulite genetically, or it can be caused by diet and circulatory issues.

In order to shift these fatty pockets that we know as cellulite there are a couple of key steps you need to follow!

Hydration

Drinking water is essential in order to keep your body healthy and prevent fat from depositing excessively. If your body is hydrated, it can transport and in turn get rid of waste deposits more effectively. Add some lemon, mint, strawberries or cucumber to make it more interesting.

Glass of water

 Hydration is essential

Exercise

Exercise doesn’t have to be daunting, I’ve been there myself, mortified to allow anyone to see me in such a vulnerable state!

Exercise can be anything from a home workout, there are lots of free YouTube videos out there that require little to no equipment, and you could do it at any time during the day when you have time, or else walking, dancing, etc. the list is endless!

You just need to get your circulation going and get your blood pumping for it to be able to pick up toxins and filter them.

Woman on bike - cellulite cure

Make exercise a part of your routine.

Dry Brushing

Dry brushing your skin can also help with blood and lymph circulation and in turn reduction of cellulite. This is typically done before you shower when your skin is dry, using circular motions and upward strokes (follow the rule of brush towards your heart, regardless the body part you are working on).

You can source dry brushes at most chemists, but if you really want to up your dry brushing game you can invest in the Remington Reveal Wet and Dry Body Brush:

Priced at €69.99 and available in most pharmacies, this electric piece of equipment will take the work out of dry brushing for you, as it has two different heads: one for wet brushing, which will remove dead skin and tan and one for dry brushing which is the one you will use for cellulite reduction.

Celeb fans of dry brushing are, Miranda Kerr and Elle Macpherson!

Remingtom dry brush cellulite treatment

Remingtom dry brush cellulite treatment

Caffeine

When applied topically and massaged into the skin, coffee is proven to help speed up the reduction of cellulite and tighten the skin as well as providing anti-oxidants.It is also said to permanently remove the ‘orange peel’ effect of cellulite

We love Irish Model and Author Roz Purcell’s, Ripe by Roz range of scrubs, and if you want to target cellulite – her RIPE COFFEE & SUGAR SCRUB is the one to opt for. It smells gorgeous and is guaranteed to wake you up if used in your morning shower.

Roz Purcell cellulite scrub

Ripe by Roz cellulite scrub

Priced at €15.00.

Moisturising

To finish off and really pamper your skin, I recommend hydration from the outside this time. Use your favourite body moisturiser to keep your skin looking smooth and plump. My favourite at the moment is the Ixxi Bodyxine Lait Fondant.

Priced at €29.99 this product doubles up as a post-sun treatment as well as a body firming product, so you can enjoy the sunshine and still keep your skin looking toned and supple. It is suitable for all skin types (even the most sensitive of skins!) has a melt into the skin formula, and it smells divine.

Ixxi Bodyxine Lait Fondant

Ixxi Bodyxine Lait Fondant

Fashion images courtesy of Seaspray
Water shot: www.stockphotosforfree.com